HUDBlast March 2, 2012

For an archive of HUDBlasts visit RBD online at

DUNS Numbers & CCR – Non-compliance May Affect HAP Payments

In January 2011, HUD issued H 2011-1 Notice Requiring Owners with Project-Based Rental Assistance Contracts or Section 202 or 811 Project Rental Assistance Contracts to Obtain Dun and Bradstreet Numbering System (DUNS) Numbers and to Register in the Central Contractor Registration (CCR)

Owners of properties with a Project-based Section 8 contract or a 202 or 811 PRAC contract were required to obtain a DUNS number and have an active, valid registration in the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) within 60 days of the publication date of the Notice.  Owners were also required to submit Attachment A - DUNS Number and CCR Registration Certification to their local HUD office to verify compliance.  (At this time, HUD has NOT indicated that you should send this certification again – please do not send a second certification unless HUD or your CA requests that you do so).  The Notice further clarified that an owner’s failure to obtain a DUNS number and CCR registration within the timeframe allotted may result in the suspension of housing assistance payments or rental assistance payments.

In RHIIP ListServ #270 HUD advises that they will issue a Housing Notice clarifying that this requirement also applies to RAP and Rent Supplement contracts.     

Staff at HUD Headquarters has reviewed the information to make sure that owner/agents have completed this task as required.  Please note, there are still owners who have failed to obtain a DUNS Number and to register in the CCR system.  In order to continue to receive housing assistance payments or rental assistance payments, Owners are reminded that they must comply with the requirements of Notice H 2011-01. 

The Notice also requires owners to maintain their CCR registration.  Please remember that CCR requires owners to recertify annually. 

HUD will be implementing a new funding system in May 2012 (information provided soon).  As a result, owners who are not in compliance with the requirements by April 23, 2012, risk suspension of their housing assistance or rental assistance payments. 

If you have not complied, please see the instructions below:

Process for Obtaining a DUNS Number and Registering in CCR

To obtain a DUNS number, Section 8 recipients can use the online web-form process at . For assistance, registrants should call toll free: 866-705-5711 – Press Option 4, Grantee.

Grantees in Alaska and Puerto Rico can call toll-free, 800-234-3867. The process of obtaining a DUNS number is free for all entities doing business with the federal government is free. Responses to web-form submittals online are generally returned within 1-2 business days.  The process for obtaining a DUNS number using the telephone should take 10 to 15 minutes. The following information is requested when applying for a DUNS number:

  • Legal company name (used when filing a return or making a payment to the IRS)

  • Employer/Taxpayer Identification Number (used when filing a return or making a payment to the IRS)

Note:  CCR EIN/TIN Validation. The Employer/Taxpayer Identification Number (EIN/TIN) and Employer/Taxpayer Name combination you provide in the IRS Consent form is sent to IRS for validation and checked for any debt owed to the federal government. If there are discrepancies in the information provided, the registration will fail validation.

  • Headquarters company name and address

  • Trade-style or DBA company name

  • Physical address: including city, state and zip code

  • Mailing address (provide the Zip Code using the Zip Code plus four code)

  • Telephone number

  • Contact name and title

  •  Number of employees at the company’s physical location

After obtaining a DUNS number, you should wait 24 to 48 hours to register with the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) so that the records can become activated in the Dun and Bradstreet database. If you are not sure if you already have a DUNS number, you can call the toll-free number, select option 4 and ask the operator if you already have a DUNS number at the specified address.

If you already have a DUNS number, be sure to renew your CCR annually.

CCR User’s Guide and Help Desk

CCR provides a detailed step-by-step User’s Guide on its help page at to assist in completing the registration process. New Users should print the guide and follow the step-by-step instructions. Additional assistance is available on line at .

CCR obtains the following data fields from Dun and Bradstreet: Legal Business name, Doing Business as Name (DBA), Physical Address, and Postal Code (Zip+4). Registrants will not be able to enter or modify these fields in CCR because they are pre-populated from Dun and Bradstreet records.

During a new registration, or when updating/renewing a registration in CCR, the registrant has a choice to accept or reject the information provided from the Dun and Bradstreet records.

  • If the registrant agrees with the supplied information, the Dun and Bradstreet data will be accepted into the CCR registrant record.

  • If the registrant disagrees with the information provided by Dun and Bradstreet, the registrant must go the Dun and Bradstreet website at  The owner/agent must modify the information contained in the Dun and Bradstreet records before proceeding with the CCR registration or renewal.

Once Dun and Bradstreet confirms the updated information, the registrant must revisit the CCR website and accept the Dun and Bradstreet changes. It may take up to 2 business days for Dun and Bradstreet to send modified data to CCR.

Questions regarding the Notice should be directed to Theresa Fields, Housing Project Manager, Office of Housing Assistance Contract Administration Oversight for Multifamily Housing Programs.  Ms. Fields’ telephone number is (202) 402-2703.

Join RBD for Training in the Following Cities

We’ve designed an entirely new curriculum to ensure that property management professionals get the “biggest bang” for their training dollars.   The new classes offer something for everyone! 

In the TRACS/EIV training class, we will discuss the “secret” to successful TRACS processing.  In addition, we will discuss clarifications and changes provided by HUD regarding TRACS submissions, processing new certifications using the new 50059, the new voucher submission process - including paperless voucher submission - and the new method for recording repayments. In the afternoon, we’ll provide you with a few ideas to make the use of EIV faster, easier and more consistent. 

In the HUD Occupancy/Fair Housing training class, we’ll review some recent changes to HUD’s regulatory requirements including how properties may be affected by the change to the PBCA contracts.  We’ll also discuss changes to the Management and Occupancy Review and go over some of the new questions on the form.  In the afternoon, we will explain general fair housing requirements.  We dedicate a large portion of this session to discussion about fair housing and Section 504 protections for people with disabilities.  The class includes best practice tips to assist you when addressing some of the more complex fair housing concerns like complying with HUD’s requirements for live-in aides and verifying and addressing the need for companion/service animals.

Training includes sample forms, notices and policies that can be used to help you develop your own custom documents.

To register for training, visit our web site at of contact our Training Coordinator (Larue Marin) at 770-426-0577 or email her at


To sign up for the HUDBlast, visit our web site at  Just enter your email address in the box in the center of the home page.  You can view previously posted HUDBlasts from our web site at


We also encourage you to sign-up for the Listserv, so you can receive current RHIIP related information from HUD You can view the RHIIP Tips Archives, under "Listserv-Multifamily RHIIP Tips" at


RBD does not act as a legal advisor nor as a regulatory governing agency.  The recipient should understand that any materials or comments contained herein are not designed for, nor should be relied upon as a source of legal guidance or as a final authority with respect to any particular circumstance. Ross Business Development, Inc. makes no warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or any other warranty of any type. Owners and management should seek competent legal advice in developing and carrying out policies and procedures.  While we have been diligent in our efforts to provide comprehensive and accurate regulatory information, Ross Business Development, Inc. shall not be responsible for errors or inaccuracies.