HUDBlast November 4, 2010

For an archive of HUDBlasts visit RBD online at

Section 8 Vouchers

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the voucher submission process.  It seems as if many owner/agents (O/As) and Contract Administrators (CAs) are submitting vouchers to HUD for manual review when there is no need to do so.  

In most cases, owner/agents submit voucher information electronically, using their software package.  If you are a Section 8 or 202/8 property manager, a copy of the paper voucher is generally submitted to the CA so that the CA can compare the electronic file to the paper file. 

However, some owner/agents and some CAs are also sending a “hard copy” of the voucher to HUD’s Voucher Processing Center.  Then, for some reason, these owner/agents and CAs are calling HUD to check the status of the voucher. 

There are two issues:

  1. You may be doing “extra work”
    1. If you report to a CA, you are required to send the “hard copy” of the voucher to the CA”; you usually do not need to send a second “hard copy” of the voucher to HUD
    2. If you need to send a copy of your voucher to HUD, you will receive a message saying that you need to do so

                                          i.    Through your TRACS Mailbox (iMAX)

                                         ii.    In the HUD Secure Systems/TRACS Voucher Query


  1. You do not need to call HUD to check the status of your voucher

Please remember that owner/agents can check the status of each voucher without contacting HUD.  First of all, the person checking the voucher status must have access to HUD’s Secure System (also known as WASS and the REAC system).  This is the same system that includes the EIV system, the APPS system, the FASSUB system, etc.

The coordinator must have set up the user with the appropriate TRACS Actions and TRACS Roles.  If you do not know how to do this, please check the TRACS Quick Start available on our web site at:

You can check voucher status by signing on to Secure Systems, accessing TRACS and checking the Voucher Query.  The Voucher Query includes information about vouchers for the last 24 months.

Status Code P10 voucher has been received, do not send or email a copy of the paper voucher to FOD

Status Code P00 voucher paid, do not send or email a copy of the paper voucher to FOD.  Your voucher has been forwarded to the treasury for payment. 

Status Code is T03, T31, T51, or T52 the O/A must send or email a copy of the paper voucher to FOD for manual review.

Email a digital copy (Adobe Acrobat PDF file) of the voucher to

To avoid delays in reviewing your voucher by following these FILE NAME and Email SUBJECT LINE requirements.

  • The FILE NAME must be the “Contract number plus month (three letters) and year (two
  • digits).” For example: GA111X111X1 JUL 10
  • Email each voucher separately if submitting multiple vouchers.
  • The Email SUBJECT LINE must be the “Contract number plus month (three letters) year
  • (two digits).” Same as above example: GA111X111X1 JUL 10

If you are unable to send the voucher electronically, please follow these alternative FAX instructions:

  • NEW FAX telephone number: 202-708-1300
  • The FAX COVER SHEET must include O/A or CA contact person’s

·         Name

·         Telephone number

·         Fax number

·         Email address

Status Code is T91 or T92, only Traditional Contract Administrator (TCA) submitted vouchers must be manually reviewed by the FOD. The TCA must email a digital copy (Adobe Acrobat PDF file) of the voucher to the FOD for manual review. Please follow above file name and email subject name requirements or alternative FAX requirements.

Status Code is T30, FOD will contact the O/A or CA, as appropriate.

Status Code is T53, the O/A or CA should contact the TRACS Help Desk if assistance is needed. 

All other status messages and codes: If the message in TRACS is not described above, you should check HUD’s Monthly Activity Transmission Guide for additional information. Voucher Status Codes and Messages are provided in Appendix G. 

In some cases, O/A’s must contact the Multifamily Housing Project Manager in the HUD Hub or Program Center office that serves the project.  Information by State:

Join RBD For Training In The Following Cities

It’s a full time job just to stay on top of current occupancy issues and their impact on day-to-day property management functions. Join Mary Ross to discuss the latest in HUD occupancy requirements. 

Training includes sample forms, notices and policies that can be used to help you develop your own custom documents. 

To register for training, visit our web site at of contact our Training Coordinator (Larue Marin) at 770-426-0577 or email her at


To sign up for the HUDBlast, visit our web site at  Just enter your email address in the box in the center of the home page.  You can view previously posted HUDBlasts from our web site at


We also encourage you to sign-up for the Listserv, so you can receive current RHIIP related information from HUD You can view the RHIIP Tips Archives, under "Listserv-Multifamily RHIIP Tips" at


RBD does not act as a legal advisor nor as a regulatory governing agency.  The recipient should understand that any materials or comments contained herein are not designed for, nor should be relied upon as a source of legal guidance or as a final authority with respect to any particular circumstance. Ross Business Development, Inc. makes no warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or any other warranty of any type. Owners and management should seek competent legal advice in developing and carrying out policies and procedures.  While we have been diligent in our efforts to provide comprehensive and accurate regulatory information, Ross Business Development, Inc. shall not be responsible for errors or inaccuracies.