HUD Announces Requirement to Include Certified DUNS Number on all Vouchers

In RHIIP ListServ 380, HUD announced release of a memo which explains the requirement to include the Dun & Bradstreet's (DB) Data Numbering System (DUNS) Numbers on all vouchers submitted to the Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS).  To view the memo, visit HUD's web site at

Owner/agents must have an active DUNS Number and the property/agent record must be certified in the System for Award Management (SAM). 

Starting December 1, 2017, the Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS) will generate a FATAL error if the DUNS number is not included in the voucher record.  The property will not receive payment until the voucher is corrected and the certified DUNS Number is provided.  This means that the voucher will not be paid until the information is updated. 

There is no registration fee for DUNS or SAMS for any organization that is a recipient of federal financial assistance from the US government.  Beware of organizations that tell you that there is a required fee to register or certify.  There are businesses that will assist in registration for a fee, but you are not required to make payment to any DUNS or SAMS representatives for purposes of contracts, grants, or cooperative agreements.

Go to the SAMS web site to check your status at

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the SAMS system, you can find additional information on HUD's web site at